Thursday, October 18, 2007

If it's not one thing, it's another thing.

I slept like a baby on Tuesday night. I woke up at 8, then stayed in bed reading for a couple of hours. Just fabulous. Of course, then I went to the gym, rearranged all the bedroom furniture and generally did chores the rest of the day. Not as restful as I’d hoped, but productive. I was in bed by 7, and falling asleep by 8.

Unfortunately, Xtian cleaned the carpets Wednesday evening. Well, that’s not unfortunate, that’s awesome. The unfortunate part is that the portion of the house we usually lock the cats in for the night was all wet, so we had to keep them in the kitchen. The kitchen that shares a door to our bedroom. My little girl kitty, Maggie, spent the entire night howling at the door. I know it was the entire night because I watched every single minute tick by, until I gave up at 3:45 am and just got up. Needless to say (but I will) I’m fucking tired and cranky. What does a bitch have to do to catch a break around here?

And like a retard, I’ve been completely overdoing the last few days. At the gym I’m pushing myself into pre-pregnancy workout routines. At home, I’m demanding that I can do it! Whatever it is, regardless of the fact that I shouldn’t do it. At work, I’m refusing help, even though I need it. What is wrong with me? I know I’m not supposed to be lifting 5-gallon jugs of water. I know I’m not supposed to move furniture. I know I’m not supposed to do any of these things. But I do them. And then I feel horrible, achy and contraction-y all day. Am I trying to go into premature labor? Or am I just too contrary to follow rules? Or am I just kind of dim?

So, it has officially been two months since I submitted my maternity leave proposal to my VP. 6 weeks ago, I was told that the CEO was reviewing it and I’d have an answer the following day.
That is the last I’ve heard. Just stunning. I know the usual protocol around here is to ignore things until they go away, but I don’t think that will work so well in this circumstance. What the hell, people? I’ve got plans to make, childcare to arrange and a lot of “before you go” preparation to complete. Perhaps I could find out what the benefits are? Or, how I’m going to pay rent while on maternity leave? Maybe?

I have visions of being on the phone with the VP while in labor trying to figure out if I’m okayed to not come in. Although, I’m pretty sure amniotic fluid stains on the carpets might go a long way to changing their policies. Hmmmm.

No comments: