Friday, October 10, 2008

Moving and stuff.

Xtian and Warren spent all day Thursday driving around Sacramento, trying desperately to find us a place to live. Let me tell you, the control freak in me was twitching about not being there. In fact, it still is. Gah! But, we do what must be done, and he's put a "holding deposit" on a place. I'll go there tomorrow morning to check it out and if it passes muster, we'll sign a lease and call it good.
Which means, holy shit, we'll be moving in 8 days.

Xtian doesn't often make big decisions like this on his own and I think he's a little nervous about the whole thing. I already know some things about it I'm going to hate. It's a huge "apartment/duplex community" in the middle of nowhere. Kind of the exact opposite of what I wanted, but we've got limited time and limited resources to work with. Sacrifices must be made. What it does have? Three bedrooms, TWO closets in the master bedroom (or how about...a master bedroom? That no one has to walk through to get... anywhere!), storage space, covered parking and a free gym for the complex. But, I'm trying to keep an open mind about the whole thing.

My mantra is "we can always move...we can always move" and frankly, this isn't going to be our forever home. Hopefully it's a place that we can afford and can be in to save up some cash to eventually buy something. And when it's time to buy, we'll make sure we have a huge amount of time so I can find the place I want to raise my family (which will hopefully include a dozen gorgeous little bugs like Warren).

And in the meantime..how on earth did I manage to plan my move so that none of my friend are around? Where is my moving karma? Can't blame the friends, all planned trips and obligations that I knew about ahead of time.. but come on! I help EVERYONE move. I've owned a truck for the last 7 years, and I've moved at least 10 different people at least once each. Some as many as three times each.

But at least I've got my immediate family penciled in to help. Which is excellent since my family is full of burly people who don't know the meaning of "can't." Should be exciting at least.

4 comments:

meghan said...

I'd help you move, but I'm not going to Northern California until Spring 09. Good luck with the inspection tomorrow.

jen breese said...

I'm sorry I'm not around... Of course I have the joy of introducing a bf to my family. Wanna trade places? :)

Thirstin' for Thurstons said...

Congrats, i was cutious so i checked the diference in cost of living. WOW! Sac. is a lot less expensive then the Bay area. I never really thought about it. Have fun moving!!

Faith said...

So how did it go? Did the pros outweigh the cons? ::crossing fingers that they did::