Monday, December 17, 2007

Oh my god, it's a meme.

So, tomorrow's the big appointment where we'll run a crap load of tests and what have you to figure out if/when to get this kid the hell out of me. All efforts to Noriega its ass (i.e. blasting music right into my belly ala the U.S. using bad music at high volume to flush Noriega out of "sanctuary") were for naught this weekend. So, I'm pretty much resigned to having my labor induced at some point this week. Hopefully Thursday or Friday to give me a chance to get Xmas shit in order.

And since that's about all I got, Faith was kind (?) enough to tag me with the following:
THE RULES

You should post these rules:
Recall and relate a time when you experienced a "paranormal event"
Explain it rationally if you can
Inflict this meme on 5 other people

I don't really get into the whole paranormal thing. I know other people have all kinds of experiences, and I'd probably feel differently if I'd had things like that. But, the closest thing to a paranormal event I can recall occurred during my second year in college.
I went to school in Milwaukee, and many of the dorms there used to be hotels or hospitals. (Complete with a morgue they converted into a bakery. Not creepy at all. Nope.) I lived in several buildings said to be haunted, but never had experiences of my own, except for my second year. That dorm happened to be, if memory serves, adjacent to the former abode of Jeffrey Dahlmer. (Sidenote: the actual building the ol' cannibal actually lived in was destroyed, so I guess I should rephrase that my building was adjacent to the lot that used to contain JD's home and the site of his nastiness).

The entire year my roommate and I lived there, windows would unlock themselves and open and close at a whim. The windows swung outward, and were new windows with hardcore locks on them. So, we'd be sitting there, and a window would suddenly unlock and swing open. We also had a few times where the thermostat would mysteriously change from one extreme to the other. My roommate and I always joked that it was a ghost, whom we nicknamed "Gary." Whenever something like that would happen, we'd always greet Gary, and go back to what we were doing.

As for the rational explanation: my roommate was pretty flighty so it's entirely possible she was responsible for changing the thermostat and just forgot. And as for windows opening and closing, we've all had weird wind or air pressure issues in buildings, so there's always that. As for how the locks managed to work against gravity (and seriously, these were not locks that you could operate with the flick of a finger, they were pretty hardcore) I'm not quite sure, but I'd bet one of my science nerds could work that one out if they had to.

So, yeah, longwinded, and boring. Just the way we like it around here. And I'm totally not tagging, so help yourselves if you feel like it.

I'll probably update tomorrow or Thursday with the plans for Mocha Cub's much awaited arrival. Huzzah.

No comments: