Monday, April 9, 2007

Senseless Chatter. Lucky you!

I’ve come to a conclusion: I am just not cut out for social events. This weekend my family came to visit in honor of my grandpa’s 80th birthday. There was a surprise party for him on Saturday (I again point out the lack of wisdom in throwing surprise parties for people over 65, aren’t we just tempting fate?); then my 21-year old aunt and her fiancé came over Sunday for dinner and wedding chatter.

And today, it’s all I can do to keep my head above the desk. Seriously. I put my head down for a minute, and had a 30-second nap wherein I actually had a dream. I think my body is screaming for more REM sleep. But what can a bitch do? I’m already going to bed at 7:30/8pm? How much earlier can I get to sleep and still manage to eat dinner? Of course the fact that the sun is now staying up past 8:30 could really be hurting the sleeping. But there’s nothing for it, and I will simply struggle on.

More caffeine anyone?

On days like today, why am I even in the office? I could have completely phoned it in, and no one would have noticed. If only I could rig the lights in my office (they’re the motion sensor variety). They’re the only clue people have to gauge how long I've been out of my chair. If I could get it to stay on all the time, I’m pretty sure I could not show up at least twice a week and no one would know the difference.

This office is so slow, and their expectations are so non-existent, it’s hard for accomplishment driven me. I have to nurse projects out for weeks so I have enough to take up my days. If I get too much done too quickly, there are several days a month that I have absolutely nothing to do. On these days, I usually find some busy work, but that doesn’t really solve the problem. And, with the HR sneak/spy hanging around so much, I have to keep myself at least looking busy (which usually involves scowling at my computer screen, and making exasperated sounds). Good lord she’s just vile and conniving. I really hope after 35 years in the workforce I’m not anything like that.

Right, off to eat as many chocolate covered espresso beans as I can find in my desk drawer. Enjoy your Monday, ya’ll!

No comments: