Friday, December 1, 2006

'Tis the season...to be annoyed

Oh, the weekend needs to be here already. I’m ready to fall asleep at my desk. But, there’ll be no rest for the wicked. My weekends are officially booked solid until after Christmas. Such a sad prospect. There’s nothing I like better than to snuggle on the couch and ignore the rest of the world. But, I must fight my inner hermit and be fun and sociable.

I always feel weird loving Xmas the way I do. Why, you might ask? Well, I’m pretty much an atheist. I mostly loathe Christian religions, so it feels weird to get all giddy about the major Christian holiday. But, alas giddy I am. I love getting people gifts, I love people getting me sweet little gifts. I love snuggling around with all my family and friends and just loving each other. I like looking forward to surprises, and reveling in stupid traditions. I love how, outside of shopping, people seem to be nicer to each other, and we’re all more patient. I don’t care what holiday you celebrate, anything that makes people do and say nice things to one another can’t be all bad.

But, if I hear the phrase “war on Christmas” even once this year, I may have to start killing religious asshats. Does the fact that I say “Happy Holidays” really offend you? Really? Since more people in this world DON’T celebrate than DO, let’s just wish people happy times, eh?

And in the greatest turn of irony ever, my dad is the worst one of those types. He makes a big fuckoff deal of saying “Merry Christmas” to everyone, then explaining that he ONLY says “Merry Christmas” and not any other greeting.

Umm, anyone give a rat’s ass? Nope, didn’t think so. How horrified he must be that his daughter sends out HOLIDAY cards, depicting snow, family and revelry, rather than a tree, Jesus, or anything else. If you’re offended, I think I can officially take your name off my card list. Douchebags.

No comments: