Friday, March 3, 2006

When we last left our hero....

Right, continuing on.

So, finally my dad got home. Xtian looks as though the slightest breeze will knock him over. I chat for a minute with my dad, then leave the room. Xtian wanted to do this alone. I tried to eavesdrop, but some jackass left the tv on, making it impossible. I can hear different toned muffled talking, but that's about it.
Finally I hear my mom yelling "where is that silly girl?" I walk into the kitchen and Xtian looks ready to pass out, both my parents are grinning from ear to ear, and I'm enveloped in a huge hug. Hurray, my parents love him.

After that we told my sister, then my brother came over, and we told him. Nothing but ecstatic faces and hugs all around. Sarah came over, we gave her the news and she screamed "I KNEW IT!" So, we started chatting about dates, who to invite etc. I was more than a little overwhelmed so we cut it short, and everyone went to their respective homes/beds. Xtian was starving, so we left to grab him some food.

Something was bothering me throughout all this. I finally put my finger on it while we drove. "Can you do something for me," I asked. Xtian nodded. "I need you to actually ask me."

His eyes got wide as he realized there hadn't been any kind of proposal or even a nice moment. Damn our pragmatism. We pulled over and he jumped out of the truck, grabbed my hand, and asked me if I'd marry him. Well, obviously we know the answer.

So, basically that's the story. The next day, on our way back to Oakland, we stopped at Twin Peaks in SF, stood on the ledge (much to my height-fearing chagrin) and had our moment. Delightful, fabulous. I really couldn't be happier.

So, we've set a date, it's in May. Everyone is assuming it's a shotgun wedding because the date is so soon. I assure you, this is not the case. I'm just not one for putting things off. My preference was to go to the courthouse within the week and get it done, but only I thought that was a good idea.

Luckily, I have no one to impress, so the simpler the better. My darling girl Jen will be marrying us, and I can't wait. I really don't think anyone else would do us justice.

Right, tons to do, and not much time left.
I promise not to become a Bridezilla and overrun these pages with talk of flowers, dresses, rings (in case there was any question, no I do not have an engagement ring. Poor people like us don't do extraneous jewelry. Let's save it for the beautiful wedding band. It's the important one anyway), china patterns or anything of the like.

PS Here's why my dad sucks. Xtian's approval seeking went something like this "I love Coley, and I have nothing but respect for the two of you. I want to have a marriage like yours, and I plan to spend the rest of my life with Coley. I would not feel comfortable doing that without your blessing." Very sweet, right?
To which my dad answers "We love you, you've always treated my daughter with respect, probably more than she deserves." Awww. thanks dad. You ass.
Can't wait to see what he says at the actual wedding. Hurray.

No comments: