Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Comic Strip that is Coley's Life

I was out with some of the ladies from work tonight, and one said that my life is like a cartoon short. All I need are some wicked illustrations and an appropriate soundtrack. I don't know if that's true, I guess it stems from how I view my life. I might be having the shitiest day ever, but at least I can make a good story out of it.

Some people ask me if I mind living in a relatively "high-crime" neighborhood. Well, I haven't really had to deal with it much. Sure, I see the news, and hear the sirens, but I've been living in "bad neighborhoods" for years now. I don't take risks and try to be smart, but you can't live your life in fear. Of course there are some rather....I guess odd is the word I'm looking for, rather odd people around. There's one guy who stands on a corner (different corner everyday) and just spins in circles, looking at the sky and periodically touches his finger to the tip of his nose. At first, I was a little wary. But after seeing him around for a few months, he's not scary, and he seems so happy to be spinning in cirlces that it makes me smile.

There's another person, Wayne Kendricks. Or so he tells me his name is. Wayne is an older man (maybe 50-60, I'm not very good at guessing ages). He started talking to me one day, telling me that he owns a club in the city etc. We chatted for a bit and then I said I needed to get home. Now I see him from time to time, and every time he says "Nicole! How are you? I prayed for you last night. When you gonna let me take you to dinner?" Now, I could choose to be freaked out and run away. Instead, I chat with him for a few minutes and avoid the dinner question.

It seems that older black men who may or may not be homeless love me. I don't know what vibe I'm putting out there, but these men just soak it up. They find me everywhere I go. Some people would freak out and start carrying mace or something. I choose to amuse others with my rather unusual experiences. I guess it's just more fun to see the fun and positive things in life.

Well, my dinner is awaiting me. Have a delightful evening everyone!

No comments: