Friday, March 19, 2010

Parenting is so much easier when you aren't outnumbered

My mom has been off work all week (Spring Break for the school she works at) so she's been hanging out with me and the kiddos. I have to say, if you have the means to have two adults to every child in your care, go for it. And if one of those adults just happens to be your child's very favorite-est person, all that much better. Good heavens, it's easier to be patient and kind to a two-year-old when you're well rested and not the only person in charge of paying attention to him or her.

Warren is at the stage where he needs to talk about things...a lot. We repeat the same words, sentences, stories over and over and over again. And he's not satisfied to just say it, he wants me to pay close attention, agree with him and also share his enthusiasm. Which is cute the first 72 times you've talked about the orange truck down the street. But that 73rd time it starts to grate on your nerves.

Lennox figured out smiling this week. And cooing. I have a theory about this. I think babies know exactly how far they can push you before you lose it entirely. So, after 5 weeks of sleep deprivaation, jumping to attention at the slightest hint of a cry, and countless hours giving over your body to nourish the little thing, you might be wondering why the hell you are doing this. So, the kid takes pity on you and gives you a little smile and some gurgling noises and it restores your soul. Evolution at work, people. If babies weren't so cute, we'd all leave them on the hospital doorstep.

That said, I'm not complaining. Lennox is a really good baby. Eats well, sleeps well, and is generally happy to go with the flow. Which is nice, since Warren is very intent on his own agenda these days. After almost 6 weeks home with him, I think we're getting to a good place. There are a lot of changes around here, with a lot of new rules and happenings. The first few weeks were not so good. But I think Warren and I have figured out how to work with each other, and that when we are both patient and kind, we have much more fun.

Of course, this is all subject to change at the drop of a hat. So, don't quote me on this when I'm back here railing about my horrible snot-face of a kid.

And after a month of missing Xtian, in a *ahem* physical manner, we're back in action. I've found it's much easier to be nice to Xtian when we're both...relaxed. After a month on the "injured reserve list" I feel just pissy and totally disconnected from my partner. So, let's just say my entire household should be glad I got the all-clear from my doctor.

So, with that over-share, calling it a night. Remind me to tell you how I lost my child at a mall. Parent of the Year material right here.

1 comment:

jen breese said...

Isn't losing a kid at the mall a parental rite of passage? I'm assuming you didn't lose Lennox since he can't walk. :) Heh. I can't wait to hear about it.

Glad yer having fun these days!