Monday, November 27, 2006

Not Whining, surprisingly...

Since most of what I’ve been writing/talking about for the last few weeks consists of whining, I thought I’d take this time to actually (belatedly) show some gratitude.

I’m unspeakably grateful for my husband. Xtian is a man strong enough to deal with my insanity, kind enough not to hold my bullshit against me, loyal enough to take insults against me personally, patient enough to keep dealing with the same problems day in and day out. Undoubtedly the best person I’ve ever met.
I am grateful for my amazing friends. There aren’t that many anymore, but the few who’ve lasted are truly a blessing. They see me through everything, whether they understand it or not, whether they understand me or not. I love them like family, only more so, as they have the option of leaving.
I am thankful for a family full of broken, wonderful people. As much as we grate on each other, we also love each other fiercely. Love each other, no in spite of our flaws, but because of our flaws. More than anything, we genuinely enjoy spending time together more than any family I know.
I am grateful for my health. As much as I whine about injuries etc, I have a body strong enough to stand up to the abuse I dish out, and heal itself. I have access to medical care when I need it, but mostly I don’t need it.
I am also grateful to live in one of the richest countries in the world. Where I am able to afford healthy food and luxuries other people only dream about. I have a home that I love, and the ability to fill it with things I like.
I am thankful to have three sweet, silly, cuddly cats. Sharing life, time and space with animals is a neat thing, and they add so much to my life.
I am grateful to have a job that I enjoy and pays me enough to live comfortably and buy myself everything I need.
I am grateful for living in the Bay Area, with so much beauty, culture and so many people who feel the same way I do about things. I am grateful to live in an area where I don’t have to live in fear of daily, systematic violence. I am thankful that my husband and I don’t have to be afraid to be seen in public together. That the racism we do endure is nothing compared to how bad it could be. I am grateful that my future children will only have it better. That they will live in an area where they can be proud of their heritage, without fear.
There are hundreds of other things I could think of, but these are the biggies on my mind right about now.

No comments: