Thursday, October 2, 2008

Nothing new here

So, I feel like it went well. Had my interview, feel like I represented myself well, and seems like this would be a great move for me, careerwise. Which is nice since I've been feeling like my career got stuck at some point. The interview itself lasted over an hour and half, and that usually bodes well. But we'll see. (Trying not to get too excited. Or hopeful. It's the whole expect the worst and you're always pleasantly surprised thing)

The thing is, I can't help but start planning. IF they want me, and they're willing to pay me what I want, they want to move quickly, they said. When asked how soon I'd be looking at, I told them ideally 4-6 weeks. Dude, moving 4 people and three cats takes some time. So, with 2 weeks notice at work, a month of notice for my landlords (who've been unbelievably good to us, in spite of the whole "Lighting their home on fire" thing from earlier this year), and finding a new place in a new city? Yeah, I need a month. They seemed a little disappointed with that timeline, so I told them if it comes down to it, and this is a sticking point, I'm sure we can work something out.

After I left the interview, I talked to my dad who reminded me that if this company wasn't willing to work with me with either time, relocation benefits or some kind of work out, then it probably wasn't a company I'd want to work for, you know? And that made perfect sense. Good thing my dad could remind me that I'm looking for a GOOD job, with a GOOD company, that treats its employees WELL. Sometimes I forget that company's are supposed to be good for their employees too. Duh.
So, yeah. Trying not to think about it, while still THINKING ABOUT IT EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY HOUR! Fun.

So far this week, I haven't gotten home earlier than 9 pm. Poor Xtian has been doing the single parent thing all week, and I'm feeling like a schmuck about it. I'm also tired, cranky and totally body aching from lack of sleep and eating poorly. Time for a nice, relaxing night at home, methinks. I'm unbelievably fortunate to have a partner who is willing to drop everything and move to help my career out. Oh, and also, do more than half the household and childcare responsibilities because I've got other things to do. And then when I come home, make sure you sit and quietly listen while I complain about the house being messy, and WHY DO YOU HAVE 3 PAIRS OF SHOES OUT? How many can you possibly wear at once?!?!
Again, I'm a total pleasure to live with. Sheesh.

Ok, so here's my ideal. They call, offer me the job at a salary high enough that Xtian can CHOOSE to work, or not. They also extend either a nice signing bonus, or offer some delightful relocation package. And when I go to put in my two-weeks notice at work, they opt to have me leave immediately and just pay me out for those two weeks. And we find a nice, 3 bedroom place to rent for less money than we're spending now, within walking distance of food, bars, grocery, coffee etc. And it's close to school for Cory. And it's in a nice neighborhood with nice neighbors and cheap walking distance daycare. And rainbows and unicorns.

Think I'm living in a fantasy world? Hell, why not ask for a money tree while I'm at it? God, I'm so retarded sometimes...

2 comments:

jen breese said...

You do deserve the rainbows and unicorns. You've worked hard. Besides, if you can't imagine it, then it can't happen. :) Here's to it all working out the way you want!

Faith said...

"And then when I come home, make sure you sit and quietly listen while I complain about the house being messy, and WHY DO YOU HAVE 3 PAIRS OF SHOES OUT? How many can you possibly wear at once?!?!
Again, I'm a total pleasure to live with. Sheesh."

GET OUTTA MY HEAD, WOMAN! Srsly, think we might be the same person. We're twilight zoney and shit...

Like Jen said, you totally deserve it all. (Except I'd take back the wish for the unicorns. They don't clean up after themselves, you know? That'd just be one more thing for Xtian to do, and you already feel bad enough as it is...)