Monday, October 31, 2005

Coley's Ranting Returns

Happy Halloween to y'all!
I'm being particularly lame this year and will not be dressing up as anything. I will also not be going out, or doing anything festive, aside from eating the candy I bought "for Trick-Or-Treaters." Nice.

In other, more painful news, this. Our ridiculous president has chosen an even more ridiculous nominee for the Supreme Court. After discovering that the only woman he considered eligible (*scoff*), he's gone back to his standby: an old white guy. Yes, here it is folks, shock of the day. Bush chooses a mid 50's, conservative with a capital swastika, white guy. I mean, I guess, at least he's been a judge. But come on!! Even Rehnquist thought women should have SOME rights, and he was a mighty conservative guy. A few of my favorites (caveat: yeah, I'm a liberal, so, be aware, this will not be Christian Reicht friendly)

Alito wants government to be able to interfere in personal decisions on
reproductive rights. In Casey, Alito stated that he would have upheld a
provision of Pennsylvania's restrictive anti-abortion law requiring a woman
in certain circumstances to notify her husband before obtaining an
abortion. His colleagues on the Third Circuit and the Supreme Court
majority disagreed and
overturned the provision.

In a number of dissenting opinions, Alito has taken positions that, if
adopted, would have made it more difficult for victims of race and sex
discrimination to prove their claims. In one case involving claims of race
discrimination, the court majority sharply criticized Alito's dissent,
stating that Alito's "position would immunize an employer from the reach of
Title VII" in certain circumstances.


According to one of Alito's opinions, Congress had no authority to require
state employers to comply with the Family and Medical Leave Act, a ruling
that was repudiated by the Supreme Court in a later case in which conservative Chief Justice Rehnquist, no friend of civil rights, wrote the Court's decision.
Alito also dissented from a ruling by the Third Circuit that Congress has the
power under the Commerce Clause to restrict the transfer and possession of
machine guns at gun shows.

Save the Court.org


I've said this before and I'll say it again: if you do not have a uterus, you do not get to decide what I can do with mine. As for other women's and minority rights I guess the good Alito feels "Fuck them, if they wanted to have rights, they should have been born white and with a penis." I'm so glad to see our country hurtling back in time, with women chained to their stoves, birth control kept illegal, and anyone of a non-white background is beneath the law.

Jen sent me the link above while we had this chat on IM:
Coley: working to make sure women get back in the kitchen to make him dinner
Jen: yah why not just shoot all the women? oh wait they need holes.

That lady kills me. Gotta love someone who can send you a link and get you moving on a thought process that leads to a tirade like this one. Thanks Jen!

If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one. If you don't believe women should use birth control, then don't use it. If you don't believe that samesex marriage is right, don't marry someone with the same genitalia as you. But, don't tell me what the fuck I can do. Let's face it, no one knows everything, so why not just shut the fuck up, and stop pushing your bullshit agenda on me. These are not hard choices to make. You can't legislate morality, all you can do is live your life in the way you see fit.

In other news, scientists are working on a vaccination for cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is one of the most common types of cancer, that is so treatable when detected early, but can wreak havoc on a reproductive system if left to fester. Cervical cancer is often caused by HPV, an STD that most people have come into contact with (this is a different form of the same virus that causes genital warts, but this one causes no outward symptoms). The vaccination would essentially eradicate HPV as a cause of cervical cancer.

Hurray, right?

Apparently, the Christian Reicht is finding fault with this. Rather than seeing it as an amazing way to keep women from getting a terrible disease, they are complaining that this vaccination will give people the impression that there are no consequences to having promiscuous sex.

What? I can't imagine why anyone would look for the negative on something like this. There aren't enough problems in the world, we have to keep pretending that sex outside of marriage is the biggest challenge our country faces? For a country as uptight about sex as this one, we sure obsess about it a lot.

I'm just at a loss. Why the need to legislate what should be the most basic of rights? Control over my own body, loving the way I see fit. These are the most basic things in the world.

Whew. Need to calm down. Getting more than a little agitated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday at work got nasty. I was here a few hours late, and still didn't get everything done. Of course, I sat around bored until 3:30 pm, when all hell broke loose. I was so stressed and dishevelled I was thinking about cancelling my date with Xtian. Of course, I get home, have some crap around the house to deal with, and Xtian's running late, and I just can't seem to sit still for a minute. Why did I enjoy dating? How did I have the energy after crappy days at work?

Oh yeah. My "getting ready for a date" routine. Make an obnoxiously femme drink ( Chocolate martinis work well here. Recipe: equal parts Stoli Vanil, Godiva Dark Chocolate Liqueur and Bailey's Irish cream. It's to DIE for.), turn on some fun music, draw a bath and shave. For some reason, the second I started the routine, the day melted away. Xtian got home right as I was turning on the faucet for my bath. I didn't even self-destruct when none of my pretty clothing fit me. I just found other options.

Dinner was fabulous. Xtian insisted on driving so he could open my door for me and all that gentlemanly crap. He found a great tiny Italian restaurant in the city and made reservations. Parking was a bitch, but since he was driving, I didn't have to deal with it. He dropped me off in front of the restaurant so we wouldn't lose our reservation, and I wouldn't have to walk in too-high-heels. They told me our table would be ready in just 5 minutes. So I stood by the door waiting. Xtian eventually walked up. And we waited. A waiter walked by and said it would be just a few more minutes.

-

-

-

After a while longer, the waiter comes by with two glasses of their house red to keep us busy while we continued to wait.

-

-

-

Finally, we got our table. The food was amazing, the service was great, the wine was delightful. We lingered and chatted and ate ourselves to a state of relaxation. A completely delightful evening after an afternoon from hell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right, I'm out of ranting. I hope everyone has a wonderful evening.

I'll leave you all with this quote from 50 Cent "I'm coming trick or treating. You better not give me any candy corn, or I'll T.P. your motherfuckin' house."

Priceless.

No comments: